Become a Web Developer in 12 or 24 Weeks
Online Dallas Coding Boot Camp
Web development is a fast-growing career track, and SMU Coding Boot Camp teaches you the specialized skills to tap into this rewarding industry. Through a fast-paced, immersive curriculum, you’ll learn the skills needed to help you become proficient in front end and back end technologies.
Our part-time course is designed to give you the flexibility you need to balance your schedule while providing you with the structure and support you need to be successful in achieving your career goals.
Both the part-time and full-time programs offer live, interactive virtual classes led by skilled instructors.
Our industry-driven curriculum teaches you the most in-demand web development skills through real-world examples. Everything you learn is applicable to a professional environment.
Learn How to Code
- Study part-time while maintaining your work schedule, or launch your career sooner by studying at an accelerated pace through our full-time format.
- Gain access to continuation courses that cover additional in-demand technologies, including Python, Java, C#, and Amazon Web Services.
- Simulate a professional work environment by teaming up with your peers on real-world projects and build complex applications that will bolster your professional portfolio.
- Receive a Certificate in Full Stack Web Development from SMU Continuing and Professional Education (CAPE), demonstrating your achievements.
- Benefit from a wide set of career services like resume and social media support, technical interview training, portfolio reviews, soft skills training, practice sessions, and more to help you launch or advance your career.
As you embark on this 12- or 24-week journey, you’ll dive into a challenging curriculum and learn more than you thought was possible. With an interactive classroom environment and collaboration with your classmates, you will get hands-on experience in full stack web development.
Get Program Info
Gain Future-Proof Skills
Through hands-on developer work and collaboration with your peers, you’ll gain proficiency in the theory and application of web development—helping you stand out in today’s market.
- Algorithms (Searches, Sorts)
- Time Complexity
- Big O Notation
- Data Structures
Browser Based Technologies
- Responsive Design
- Progressive Web Applications (PWAs)
- Local Storage, Session Storage, IndexedDB
Server Side Development
- User Authentication
- Template Engines
- MERN Stack (MongoDB, Express.js, React.js, Node.js)
- Client-Server Model
- AJAX (Fetch API)
- HTTP request methods
Deployment and Delivery
- GitHub Pages
- Shell Scripting
- Unit Testing
- Continuous Integration
Supplemental Self-Study Topics
- Amazon Web Services
*The material covered is subject to change. Our academic team adjusts to the market demand.
Innovative Part-Time Online Model
Offered online, the part-time coding boot camp was designed for busy, working professionals like you. We understand that you need the flexibility to fit your education around your existing work and life commitments, but we also know that accountability is needed to help you become a web developer.
Get job ready through hands-on experience with the latest front end and back end technologies, and build a portfolio of projects to showcase your knowledge.
Engaging Virtual Classes
Attend class from wherever you are. Our online classes are NOT lectures: they’re designed to be engaging and interactive sessions. Work with other members of your tightly-knit cohort and broaden your experience while leaning on your instructor and teaching assistants.
Receive extensive support from a team dedicated to helping you succeed. This support team consists of instructors, teaching assistants, tutors and student success and career services teams.
Job Planning Assistance
You will have access to a dedicated career director and career material advisor that will help you prepare to find your dream job after completing the boot camp through a wide range of career services.
When learning to code, it’s important to have help available when you need it. SMU Coding Boot Camp’s part-time and full-time programs offer you multiple layers of support from a team of people who have your back, including:
Get support from instructors and teaching assistants. Our industry professional instructional staff is there to help you gain the skills you need on your coding journey.
Qualified students will have access to free tutoring upon request and receive up to an hour a week of 1:1 time with a skilled tutor to discuss class material, code reviews, or career related questions.
Students receive support from a dedicated team throughout their boot camp journey. Whether you need a coach, some inspiration, or someone to talk to about catching up on homework, you’ll always have someone there to help.
You will have access to a dedicated career director and advisor who will help you prepare to land your dream job after completing the boot camp. Learn how to build your personal brand and stand out in today’s market through:
- Technical and Behavioral Interview Preparation
- Industry Speakers and Events
- Resume, LinkedIn and Portfolio Development
Students will have a classroom full of fellow aspiring coders to collaborate with, ask questions or motivate each other through difficult material. The virtual classes allows students to bolster their professional network, extending beyond graduation. Once you complete the program, you will become a member of our boot camp alumni community, which brings a wealth of networking opportunities.
Is This Boot Camp Right for You?
SMU Coding Boot Camp was built for a wide range of individuals, with both full-time and part-time schedule options. All professions are welcome and if any of the following applies to you, this could be the opportunity you’re looking for:
You’re looking to advance your current career and learn coding skills to open up new opportunities
You’re interested in switching careers and want to become a professional web developer
You want to enhance your coding skills or learn web development to advance in your role
The Market for Web Developers in Dallas, TX
With even greater reliance on e-commerce and virtual interaction, having a user-friendly, high-performing website has become increasingly critical to all types of organizations. It’s certainly not surprising that, with a projected 13,400 annual job openings, new job opportunities for web developers are very likely to continue in the future.
Web development jobs are projected to grow 8 percent from 2019 to 2029 (double the average growth rate expected for all occupations combined) according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). Interestingly, the BLS ranks Texas in the top five states with the highest employment in web developers and digital interface designers, and specifically ranks the Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington area in the top 10 metropolitan areas with the highest employment level in web developers and digital interface designers.
In the Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington area, annual web developer salaries can range from $56,020–$101,440, which is 5 percent higher than the statewide range. An individual web developer’s salary depends on a number of factors including years of experience, knowledge of in-demand skills, location, company size and industry. That said, the mean annual salary for developers in the Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington area is $85,490, whereas the national mean is $73,760.
For those looking to break into this exciting field, there are a number of viable pathways. While traditional degrees have historically been required, desirable employers such as Google and Apple are no longer requiring all employees to have degrees. In fact, hiring managers are now considering boot camp completion to be a strong background as well; 72 percent of hiring managers that have hired a boot camp graduate felt they were equally or better equipped for the job than other hires, according to the 2020 HackerRank report. SMU Coding Boot Camp offers training on the in-demand skills you need while providing the opportunity to work on real-world projects that can be featured in your professional portfolio.
Even more exciting, web development employment options are boundless. Whether you’re interested in working for a private corporation, want to make a difference with a nonprofit, or are interested in working for yourself and freelancing, you can shape your future career to fit your goals and desired lifestyle. And, given the increasing demand for web development professionals, there are a variety of roles available — the right one is waiting for you.
How to Apply to the Coding Boot Camp
1. Submit Form. Fill out the contact form and select the program you’re interested in to request more information.
2. Interview and Application. A member of the admissions team will connect with you to discuss program details and answer any questions you may have. Then, you will fill out a short application.
3. Assessment. Complete a basic multiple-choice critical thinking and problem-solving assessment. No prior industry knowledge is required.
4. Enrollment. Once you are accepted into the boot camp, you will determine which financial option is right for you. Secure your seat by signing your enrollment agreement and paying your deposit.
Coding Boot Camp Schedule
SMU Coding Boot Camp offers a 24-week, part-time program and a 12-week, full-time program.
Part-Time Coding Boot Camp
- 24-week online program
- Study part-time while maintaining your existing professional, educational or personal obligations
- Learn through live online classes three days per week and real-world projects and assignments
- Dedicate 9 hours of scheduled in-class time per week and a minimum of 20+ hours outside of class on hands-on projects and practice work
Full-Time Coding Boot Camp
- 12-week program with fully live online sessions in a virtual classroom environment
- Launch your career sooner by studying full-time and completing the program at an accelerated pace
- Attend live, instructor-led classes online Monday – Friday, 10 a.m – 2:30 p.m.
- Dedicate 20 hours of scheduled in-class time per week and a minimum of 25+ hours outside of class on projects and homework assignments
» UX/UI Boot Camp Part-Time 03/11/24
» AI Boot Camp Part-Time 02/12/24
» Coding Part-Time Online Soon
» Coding Full-Time Online 12/11/23
» Data Science Part-Time Online 12/11/23
» FinTech Part-Time Online 03/18/24
» Cybersecurity Part-Time Online 02/26/24
Frequently Asked Questions
The part-time coding program is 6 months (24 weeks) long and the full-time program is 3 months (12 weeks) long.
While some background knowledge is helpful, no experience is needed as long as you are dedicated and eager to learn. The pre-course tutorials will help you prepare for the Coding Boot Camp.
No, applicants do not need to be SMU students. This program is offered through SMU Continuing and Professional Education (CAPE).